This festive season learn how to make Karanji, popularly known as Gugra and Gujiya. A very simple and easy to make home made quick sweet snacks recipe.
3/4 Cup Plain Flour
2 tbsp Semolina
2 – 3 tbsp Ghee
1/2 Cup Desiccated Coconut
2 – 3 tbsp Powdered Sugar
1 tbsp Raisins
1 tbsp Cashew Nuts Pieces
1 tbsp Almond Pieces
1/2 tsp Cardamom Powder
1 tbsp Poppy Seeds
Oil for deep frying
– In a bowl take the plain flour, semolina, ghee and mix everything well
– Add water as required to make a soft dough and keep it covered with a cloth for about 20 mins
– Meanwhile, take desiccated coconut, powdered sugar, raisins, cashew nuts, almond pieces, cardamom powder, poppy seeds and mix everything well.
– Take a portion from the dough and make small ball out of it and keep them covered with a wet cloth
– Roll the portion to make a not too thin puri and cut it with a ring.
– Apply a little bit if water to the edges of the puri.
– Take a tsp of the filling in the middle of the puri and stick the edges together
– Press on the edge, fold it inside and tip that comes out press it again and fold it and keep continuing the process
– Deep fry the karanji in medium hot oil in low flame till golden brown
– Cool it and ready to be served